After close to 4 years of being sick-free, I was beginning to think I possessed superhuman powers like Bruce Willis’ character in Unbreakable.
Then it finally happened … came out of nowhere like Halley’s Comet exploding into my immune system.
I caught the flu.
I am sick of being sick.
I am sick of being bedridden.
I am sick of dozing in and out and missing the steamy Olivia Pope and President Fitz scenes from Scandal.
Most of all, I am sick of eating bland congee (Chinese porridge) and Neo-Citran.
Thank goodness my sister came to the rescue with her acai berry bowl creation.
I needed something to fuel my sweet tooth besides cherry-flavoured throat lozenges. Yuck.
Acai berries is one of those super fruits with immense antioxidant powers to increase energy level, boost immune system, promote weight loss and keep you alive for a hundred years.
This purple berry is grown in the Brazilian Amazon Rainforest so it’s tough to find this fruit fresh in North America.
The next best thing?
Frozen acai puree which can found at your local friendly Whole Foods.
So the next time you’re sick and craving something sweet, try an acai smoothie bowl.
ACAI SUPER SMOOTHIE BOWL
- 2 x 100-g frozen acai berry superfruit pouches (try the Sambazon brand)
- 2 cups frozen fruit (I’m a fan of President Choice’s 5-fruit blend)
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk (substitute with almond, soy or cashew)
Similar to my creamy pumpkin coconut oatmeal, selecting the garnishes for a smoothie bowl is the best part. Mix and match with different fruits, nuts and seeds.
- Blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries
- Banana, kiwi, pineapple, mango
- Coconut flakes
- Sunflower seeds, almonds, pecans, walnuts
- Hemp seeds
- Honey, maple syrup or agave syrup
- Run the acai puree pouch under water for 5 seconds, cut off the top of the pouch to open and break up into blender.
- Add rest of the ingredients in the blender.
- Pour puree into a bowl.
- Arrange toppings methodically from left to right because we both know you’re going to Instagram this work of art. Be quick before the bowl melts and you’re left with acai gazpacho.
Have you tried a smoothie bowl? Share your recipe by leaving a comment below!