In celebration of Celiac Awareness Month in May, Catelli® invited food bloggers to create a recipe using their gluten free pasta which was voted the 2015 Best New Product Award winner by consumers.
I remember the day my cousin Lily shared the news that she was diagnosed with gluten sensitivity.
We usually bond over bubble tea and snacks but our menu options were much limited now. It was a difficult transition especially since we grew up eating Chinese food. Many sauces in Chinese cuisine have gluten including soy, oyster and hoisin. These are flavours that represent, embodies and exemplifies Asian dishes.
So I wanted to create a gluten free dish that Lily could enjoy while honouring my Chinese background.
Catelli® sent a box of spaghetti to try out and I was hoping it would taste better than the typical cardboard-like texture from other gluten free pasta. Surprisingly, it actually has the same appearance and texture as white pasta – a preferable healthy alternative for those who do not like the texture and taste of whole wheat pasta.
Catelli® gluten free pasta is made from a unique four-grain blend of GMO-free white rice, brown rice, corn and quinoa. With 3 grams of fibre per serving (85 g), I didn’t get the usual heavy food coma-like feeling after a plate of pasta.
Essentially, the recipe I entered for the Catelli® Gluten-Free Pastabilities Challenge was inspired by the spicy and bold flavours of Dan Dan noodles – a popular Sichuan dish.
The heat can be adjusted by reducing or adding the chili flakes in the sauce. Sichuan dried peppers and whole peppercorns are found in most Asian supermarkets. Alternatively, feel free to use whole chili peppers and black peppercorns.
Gluten Free Asian Spicy Ground Turkey with Pasta
- 1 pkg (340 g) Catelli® Gluten Free spaghetti
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 4 dried chili peppers (preferably Sichuan dried peppers), split in half and discard seeds
- 2 tsp whole peppercorns (preferably Sichuan whole peppers)
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped Sichuan preserved vegetables (optional)
- 2 lb ground turkey
- 2 tbsp Tamari sauce
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 handful dry-roasted peanuts, finely chopped
- A couple handful of Chinese green vegetables such as gai lan or yu choi (if you can’t find these vegetables then use broccoli instead)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup Tamari sauce
- 2.5 tbsp tahini sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp Agave nectar
- 2 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp chili flakes (add more if you aren’t afraid of heat!)
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and cook the pasta according to package instructions. Drain. Transfer pasta to a serving dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the olive oil, Tamari sauce, tahini sauce, sesame oil, Agave, vinegar and chili flakes. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large wok or skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add dried peppers and peppercorns. Cook for one minute until fragrant. *Be careful not to burn the peppers*
- Remove and discard.
- Add garlic and preserved vegetables. Cook for one minute.
- Add ground turkey, Tamari sauce and vinegar. Use the back of a wooden spoon to break apart the meat. Stir-fry until browned and no longer pink.
- Add the turkey to the sauce and mix so everything is evenly distributed.
- Gently steam the green vegetables in a steamer or large pot of boiling water. Add ½ tsp of sesame oil to enhance the flavour and brighten the vegetable.
- Spoon the cooked meat mixture over the pasta with the steamed vegetables.
- Sprinkle the chopped peanuts on top.
- Serve immediately
If you are up for the challenge, create and post your own gluten free pasta recipe on Catelli® Facebook page. The top three entries with the most LIKES will receive a year supply of gluten free pasta courtesy of Catelli®.
Also, Catelli® is offering a coupon to encourage people to try their pasta https://www.websaver.ca/en_ca/portal/catelli_gluten/
For more information on the Catelli® gluten free pasta, check out www.catelli.ca
I would love for you to try out my recipe and please let me know how it turned out by leaving a comment below!
** UPDATE ** My recipe received 4th place in the recipe creation contest!
Endorsement Disclosure: This is a collaborative post with Catelli® which I received complimentary products to try. As a credible blogger, I only share products and services that are honest and reflect my own opinion.